Off shoulder tops made a re-entry into the style scene last summer. And already this classic style of the 80s has taken the fashion world by a storm. From the casual day wear to show-stopping evening ensembles, you will find them everywhere, even in your workplace paired with a chic summer jacket or a blazer.
You can experiment with necklines, sleeves and the fit, depending on the style you want to create. For a professional look, you can pair button-down styles with skinny jeans or trousers or you could go completely casual in boho top with ruffled sleeves. You can choose to drop one shoulder or both depending on your mood. With an off-shoulder, there are not many ways in which you could go wrong as long as you stick to a few ground rules.
A few things to keep you on the right track:
- Select the right size; you don’t want an off-shoulder top which is literally slipping off your shoulders. Attention to details like the scooping of the neckline can save you from a lot of embarrassing situations.
- Don’t pair skinny with skinny! Loosely-fit bottom wear compliment form-fitting tops while flared or loose fit tops are more suitable for skinny-fit bottoms.
- Don’t limit yourself to jeans or trousers. Off-shoulder tops look equally good with a pair of denim shorts for a day on the beach or a trip to the bazaar. An off-shoulder top can add a definite style quotient to the simple A-line skirt. Off-shoulder bodysuits go well with fluted skirts on the other hand.
- Accessorize, accessorize and accessorize. The right collection of accessories not only completes the look, they can add tonnes of glamour to a simple outfit. The good thing is that off-shoulder tops can be paired with long necklaces and loop earrings as well as chokers and studs.
- Don’t limit yourself to just one; there are several cuts and styles in off-shoulder tops including lounge and club wear. You must try a few of them to add variety to your style.
- Experiment with different kinds of sleeves. The dolman or batwing style sleeve is very popular in off-shoulder shirts. You could also go with sleeveless or exaggerated puff sleeves for a touch of feminine grace.
If you select the size and fit with care, there is no way you could go wrong in an off-shoulder shirt.